Saturday, December 1, 2012

Little Wooden Sailor


Pin It

I found my new  wooden friend in a thrift shop. I was on the hunt for a beautiful granny lamp (which I found, eventually) when I thought of browsing through the kitchenware section. I mean, you never know when you're gonna find the most beautiful retro vase or a magnificent tea pot in whimsical colors! And so, hidden between a salt & pepper set and a brass candle holder, I saw this little sailor and took him home with me.



He's got a fierce look in his eyes and a wire pipe which never leaves his mouth. Also, his nose is alarmingly red, but what can you expect from a sailor, hey?! On the shirt there are beautiful embroideries of red and white flowers and a whole where his heart should be. I wonder if he lost his love for another wooden maiden (or if simply he was part of a bigger grinder of some sort and the whole was were the two elements combined). Anyway, he lives happily on my kitchen table, making friends with the brown bottles and the two-toned heather in the flower pot :)




23 comments:

  1. What a charming and tough sailer you found! :) Great pictures as always. Love your style! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - more brown bottles for your enjoyment!

      Delete
  2. I am sure he is very happy to be in your kitchen now! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, Jutta - it was an improvised photo session but the wooden sailor is too cute not to show!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you like the little sailor, sweet Anne!

      Delete
  4. he is going to have looong and happy life in your kitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think he will make good friends with the spice jars :P

      Delete
  5. I love him! So cute and so very annoyed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, he stole my heart when I saw him on the shelf at the thrift shop :)

      Delete
  6. Oh I love this! and it's not your usual bright and bold colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danni, I love wood just as much as bright colors... it's a challenge for me to shoot them well and I'm still working on improving my photography.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks a million, Sandy, I'm really glad that you dig the little guy :)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely find! He's quite a character! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mehha
    What a charming and tough sailer you found!. Is so cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny to find some new friends sometimes, friens with a story to tell... the thing I prefer most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thrift shop is a non-stop source of stories...

      Delete
  11. Wow Mehha .I like this! You can find treasures in thrift shop!!!.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I got the sailor from my favorite thrift shop ever - always full of treasures when I visit!

      Delete
  12. he is so great! i love him. he definitely looks like he has a story to tell. i think someone took his treasure and each night he will sneak of your shelf to go and find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha! I will follow him and become rich :))))

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...